A320 Cockpit Colors

I’ve been a bit of research on what colors are used in the A320 cockpit.

Let me preface by saying that yes… these colors may not be exact but I can say for certain that they are pretty dang close.

There are 2 colors in the cockpit, the grey that can be found on the MIP, the pedestal, the overhead, and all the breaker panels. And a blue that can be found on the sidewalls of the pedestal and on the sidestick housings.

The grey used is RAL 7031 (#6B767B). Using the site: https://www.easyrgb.com/ I was able to find close matches found in normal house paint collections. I decided to try Whale Gray (N470-60) from Behr which can be bought at Home Depot.

As you can see it’s a pretty close match but I would like to get even better. Not to mention having to roll paint onto my custom panels is not exactly Ideal.

The blue used is RAL 5017 (#136398). The closest match in the Behr collection I could find is Cosmic Cobalt (P500-7D)

Again not a perfect match so on to my proposed solution…

I came across https://www.myperfectcolor.com/RAL-Paint-Colors/148.htm which lets you enter RAL color codes and order custom mixed spraypaint cans! Which I’m thinking would look way better than rolled on house paint. Not to mention easier and quicker. Once I order some and get a chance to test the results I’ll be sure to post my findings.

Just a quick note about the finish. On the actual panel I own it is definitely a matte or satin finish. I’ll be comparing that once I custom order my paint batch.

Finally an update on the A320!

Work and life in general has been pretty hectic lately so updates have been pretty slow… But I had a user on the FlyByWire discord suggest I make more posts. So I’m going to make an effort to do that.

I ended up buying a real Airbus component. A cockpit door control panel. (119VU) Not the most exciting panel but one of the cheapest. It is also a great source of reference material! Paint color, a korry switch/indicator, toggle switch, pushbutton, backlighting color, dzus fasteners and of course the panel sizes themselves!

Once I got it I spent a while admiring the wiring and trying to reverse engineer it. I eventually got it all lit up and was happy to find that it all worked!

Aside from that ive been collecting a bunch of pictures and reference documents, even some wood and tools! I’m super excited! It looks like I’ll be starting on the pedestal first. In the next post I’ll go into a bunch more detail about all the small things I’m trying to sort out. Like paint colors and actual panel construction.

Thanks for reading!